Wednesday, May 5

WATCHED AND LOVED: THE YOUNG VICTORIA



"you're the only wife I've got or ever will have. You are my whole existence, and I will love you until my very last breath."

How lovely was this movie?! I finally watched it. I have seen a lot of period pieces (and imagined myself in a lot of period pieces...did i type that, oh, i'm sorry, you weren't supposed to know that). What I loved most about their relationship in this movie was the way they interacted after they were married: it was so real. I loved when he tells her "For pity's sake, smile, woman. Anyone would think we had quarreled. " If you are married, or even just a part of a family, for that matter, you know you have to just do this sometimes.

And I think the part that choked me up most was one of the final scenes (possible spoiler alert but not really). It was the ending when it flashed across the screen that Albert died at age 42 and Victoria had his clothes laid out every day till she died at 81. That, is romantic love and that is all at once heartbreaking and beautiful.


7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see Young Victoria, I've been looking forward to it for months! I can only imagine it will be amazing, I only know a little bit of history about their relationship but it sounds like an amazing love story. Of course I'll probably have to watch it twice since the first way through I'm likely to be staring at all the sets and outfits and not paying full attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait... that wasn't you in that movie? sigh... yet another movie i've yet to see. crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped reading when you wrote 'possible spoiler alert' because I have this on my list of movies to watch in the very near future. I'm glad to hear such a good review!

    Oh, and I always imagine myself in period pieces as well. You aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great movie... the love story is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this yet, but I know about how she held onto his memory. Do you know if there is a book about their love story? I'd love to read it first before seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em- I know! sometimes i get so mesmerized with those amazing environments and in those amazing clothes...and then i'm like "oh, wait what is going on?!" haha.

    Jen- it was me! and girl, watch it. do you have netflix?

    Whitney- okay, i'm glad you stopped! come back after watch it and let me know what you think! and i'm glad that we both have that imagination...i know i'm not alone!

    Elizabeth- i was wondering that too! Because if there is a book, i ALWAYS have to read it first because if not, i just see the movie while i read the book and i hate that! I tried to look up some books on Amazon and this one looked popular
    http://www.amazon.com/We-Two-Victoria-Albert-Partners/dp/0345484053

    does anyone else know about any books about their love story??

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is an amazing story indeed :). cute blog!

    ReplyDelete